|Location: South Africa » Kwazulu Natal » Natal Midlands » Midlands Meander » Nottingham Road|
Glen Afton Country House
Glen Afton Country House - Bed & Breakfast Accommodation in Nottingham Road, Midlands, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
DescriptionSituated on Glen Afton Farm, at the source of the Karkloof River and 10km from the village of Nottingham Road, Glen Afton Country House lies near the hub of the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, and conveniently only a little over 2km from the N3 Freeway.
The original Glen Afton settler homestead dates back to the mid 1800's but has been extensively renovated and extended and offers luxury B&B accommodation in four suites, each with private entrance from the garden and all en-suite with bath and shower.
Each suite is individually and tastefully furnished, with coffee and tea making facilities, homemade rusks and a variety of reading matter available. Gas heaters and down duvets keep out the cold on winter nights. Patio rooms overlook one of the attractive dams on the farm.
- The Victorian Suite: intimate and romantic (double)
- The Bushman Suite: earthy and warm (double)
- The Oak Suite: spacious and sunny with a Queen size bed
- The Guinea Fowl Suite is a family unit, sleeping 4 in two bedrooms (1x Double + 2 Single on bunk beds).
After a hearty country or English breakfast, served either on the patio or in the elegant dining room, there is much to keep you occupied on the farm. Three dams are well stocked with Rainbow trout to test the fly-fisherman, and Large-mouth bass take both fly and lure in the warmer months.
Taking a leisurely walk on the 80ha farm with its over 120 bird species, you may discover wild reedbuck, bushbuck or duiker amongst other small game. A visit to our farmyard pets - Piglet, the Potbellied pig, Shorty the Shetland, Lucy the donkey, and others - are a must for children and adults alike. There may be a calf or a foal to be fed…
A game of snooker or pool on a full size table is a challenge to most and great fun. And for those who want to take things even slower, lazing around the garden or the guest lounge with roaring log fires on cold winter days, reading and relaxing will revitalize and restore the soul in our haven of peace.
For the more adventurous, Glen Afton Country House offers the perfect base from which to explore the many delights of the Midlands, and further a-field. We are in close proximity to restaurants, arts and crafts of the Meander route, golf courses and health spa's. With the N3 Freeway only 2.2km away, there is easy access to Drakensberg resorts, the Zulu and Boer War Battlefields, large dams for watersport and the many adventure and sporting activities the area has to offer. We would be more than happy to help plan an itinerary for maximum enjoyment of your stay.
Our central location also offers convenience for those attending any of a number of country wedding and conference venues.
Your hosts, Julia and Alan, will welcome you and ensure your comfort, convenience, peace and tranquility during your stay at Glen Afton Country House. You may arrive as a stranger but leave as a friend.
- KwaZulu-Natal Tourism
- Nottingham Road Tourism
FacilitiesFacilities on the property
- Flyfishing in three trout and bass dams.
- Guest lounge and patio - cozy log fires in winter.
- Billiard room.
- Walks, birding and small game.
- Farm animals.
- Alpacas - domesticated llama-like members of the camel family.
- Nguni breeding herd.
- Brunch offered to early sports people.
- Home cooked dinners by arrangement.
- Limited internet/fax facilities.
- Smoking permitted outdoors only.
- Secure parking.
- Restaurants, coffee shops and eating places (1.5km+)
- Arts and Crafts of the Meander route and Art Galleries (2km+)
- Alternative fly-fishing venues (4km+)
- A choice of well-known golf courses (15km+) (Sakabula/Boschhoek/Mooi River/Glengarry)
- Health Spa’s and Wellness Centres (5km+)
- The Central Drakensberg Region resorts and reserves (45min+)
- The renowned Zulu and Anglo Boer War Battlefields (60min+)
- Leading private schools (15km)
- Midmar, Wagendrift and Craigieburn Dams for watersport (30km+)
- Adventure activities - Karkloof Canopy Tours; Hot Air Ballooning; Quad biking
- Horse riding and trails
- Wedding and conference venues (1.5km+)
We are more than happy to help plan an itinerary for maximum enjoyment of your stay with us.
Midlands Meander – we are centrally situated for all the offerings
Restaurants, coffee shops and other eateries (1.5km+)
Golf courses (Gowrie Farm, Boschhoek, Sakabula, Mooi River, Glengarry) (10km+)
Health Spa’s and Wellness Centres (Fordoun, Brookdale, Indigo Fields, etc) (5km+)
Weddings & Conferences (Providence, Fordoun, etc) (1.5km+)
Alternative flyfishing venues (4km+)
Horse riding, trails & events (2km+)
Adventure (Canopy Tours, Hot Air Ballooning, Tubing, Paintball, Clay Pigeon shooting etc)
Large dams for watersport (Midmar, Wagendrift, Craigieburn)
Central Drakensberg mountain resorts & reserves (45mins +)
Kamberg rock art centre (+-45km)
The renowned Zulu and Anglo-Boer War Battlefields (30mins +)
Leading private schools (15km +)